For an idea of what it takes to get glowing skin from the inside out, check out three of Paltrow’s favorite beauty detox recipes below. No moon dust required.
Spinach and Lemon Hummus (Makes About 2 Cups)
Packed with protein from chickpeas, good fat from olive oil, fiber, vitamins, calcium, and iron from spinach, and vitamin C and antioxidants from lemon, this hummus is a serious nutritional powerhouse. It’s great with crudités or crackers, spread on a sandwich, or simply eaten with a spoon.
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 cup packed baby spinach leaves, cleaned, dried, and roughly chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 medium Meyer (or small regular) lemon
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Combine all the ingredients with 1/4 cup water in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add more salt to taste.
Green Grain Bowls (Serves 2)
is a perfect and filling detox staple that you can easily add protein to.
For the Pesto
- 1/3 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup walnut halves, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- For the Bowls
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 3 long strips
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon, plus more juice to taste
- 3/4 cup Sautéed Cavolo Nero (see below), or any simply sautéed greens such as chard or rapini
- 1/2 large ripe yet firm avocado, diced
- 3 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds
- Red chili flakes to taste, optional
- To make the pesto, combine the herbs, walnuts, olive oil, and 2 tablespoons water in a food processor and blend until almost smooth. Season to taste with salt.
- To cook the zucchini, heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Toss the zucchini with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. When the grill pan is hot, add the zucchini strips and cook for about 2 minutes per side, until the zucchini is tender and has nice grill marks. Remove to a cutting board and dice when cooled.
- To assemble the bowls, toss the brown rice with 1/4 cup of pesto and the lemon zest and juice; divide between two bowls. Top each bowl with half the zucchini, half the sautéed greens, half the avocado, and half the toasted pumpkin seeds. Finish with a pinch of red chili flakes and some fresh lemon juice, if desired, and serve with the remaining pesto on the side.